May 18, 2009

Curried Artichoke Ragout

Music: Derek Trucks Band, Already Free
Menu: Roasted Red Pepper Hummus w/whole wheat pitas and celery sticks, Curried Artichoke Ragout

Usually the process of creating a meal and selecting the most perfect music to accompany it happens just that way, I have a meal planned and then BJ and I decide what music to listen to. Sometimes, I have to put a few different things on before getting into the groove I'm looking for while I'm cooking. This happened entirely the other way around.

On Sunday afternoon, the boys came over to our place for band rehearsal. I hopped on my bike to get groceries for the week. When I returned a couple more people had made their way to our living room and I realized, I better start cooking! First, came some homemade tortillas chips and SPICY guacamole. Then I threw some hummus together in the food processor with freshly roasted red peppers. Band practice slowly fizzled out and some lingered. I said anyone is welcome to stay for dinner and BJ said, "What are we having?!?" I had just gone to the store, so the possibilities were endless...

As it turns out, one of the guys in the band had not heard the new Derek Trucks Band album, Already Free (BJ and I scored last minute tickets to this show and it was sa-weeeet). So, I made a bee line to the stereo and cranked up DTB. The minute it came on I knew we were having a huge pot of artichoke ragout. If you are familiar with DTB, the music is soft, but upbeat, smooth, but complicated, and always with a touch of Indian inspiration. This artichoke ragout mirrors that description: the lemony flavor of the artichokes meets the curry and cayenne, the softness of the potato collides with the bite of freshly cooked chickpeas. It was an amazing evening full of great music, fabulous food, and even better company :)


Curried Artichoke Ragout
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
serves 6 -8

Ingredients
  • 2 TB EVOO
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 TB curry powder
  • 1 tspn cumin
  • 1/2 tspn garam masala
  • 1/2 tspn cayenne (easy on this if you don't like things spicy!)
  • 2 pkg. frozen artichokes, thawed or 2 cans of artichokes hearts (NOT marinated)
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 lb. (about 5 snall/medium sized) new potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
  • 2 tspn Dijon mustard
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
Directions
  1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft.
  2. Stir in curry powder, cumin, and cayenne and cook 30 seconds, or until color deepens.
  3. Add artichokes, chickpeas, potatoes, and 4 cups water. Season with S & P, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until artichokes and potatoes are tender.
  4. Ladle 1/4 cup cooking liquid into small bowl. Whisk mustard into liquid. Return to pot, add peas, and stir to combine.
  5. Simmer 3 minutes more, or until peas are bright green and heated through.
  6. Garnish/sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve with a crusty piece of pita!

No comments:

Post a Comment